You learn something new every day and I am far from being the exception. I was astonished to learn today that WD-40 has over 2,000 uses. Of course, my wife knew that already and immediately put my manhood into question. Not much to be done about that though I guess. What I thought was a handy product, I now view as liquid miracle in a can. With so many uses, WD-40 can do just about everything but set a dislocated shoulder!
I also learned that WD stands for water displacement and the 40 in the name made its way there because it was the 40th attempt that finally got the formula right. So after 40 attempts to develop this secret recipe of lubricants, Water Displacement – 40th Formula (WD-40) was created. This multi-purpose lubricant is safe to use on metal, wood, rubber, and plastic and performs the five functions of lubrication, penetrating, protection of surfaces, removal of dirt and grime, and displacement of moisture.
So the variety of WD-40 uses span the following six major categories and include specific uses like:
- Keeps blades on outdoor power equipment from rusting.
- Cleans and protects garden tools.
- Spray around the bottom of your garbage cans to prevent animals from getting into them.
- Keeps vehicle battery terminals clean and rust free.
- Keeps winch cables clean and lubricated.
- Unfreezes car doors.
On The Job
- Cleans magazines for magazine-fed firearms.
- Spray on hands before using heavy adhesives to prevent sticking.
- Improves cutting time for drills.
- Protects tools from corrosion.
- Drives out moisture from flashlights.
- Prevents corrosion on pulley systems.
- Lubricates pump-action firearms.
- Keeps fishing reels rust free.
- Cleans knife blades.
- Loosens tight propane tank handles.
- Spray locking rods of portable fire-proof safes to keep them operating properly.
- Keeps missile silo doors swinging freely.
It seems to me that after stumbling upon the list of 2,000+ uses for WD-40 that it might be a great item to have on hand and potentially even stockpile for barter use in the future. In addition to the over 2K uses for WD-40, it literally has an indefinite shelf life which makes it perfect for your survival stockpile. Don’t forget to print off a copy of the over 2,000 uses for WD-40 to keep in your prep library.
If you know of a great WD-40 use or a story about the uses of WD-40 please leave a comment!